Yesterday he came with me to pick up the doors at the store. I thought it was better to take one door at the time. I was a little worried that two on top of each other could create damage when driving over bumps in the grid road or our driveway. I also got crack filler, and some other things I needed for the cabin. At the acreage Taz came running from under the cabin. I fed her and then we unloaded the door. Then Paul wanted to try out the crack filler and he started to do around the windows. The insulating and expanding foam works great, but wow, it really DOES expand a LOT! I did a little bit around the boards but then it got really too hot in the cabin to work. It was around 26c, for feel probably around 30c. But we still got lots done. We worked for around an hour and then went home again to eat and relax.
Dizzy and Hunter are back from the vet, both spayed. They are doing just fine. Hunter slept a lot! Dizzy did too but only the first day at home. Hunter seems to need more rest. She is older so it’s a little harder on her. But a few weeks and she will be ok. It will take for Dizzy a couple more days and then she probably is back to normal again, except for a bare belly. LOL She is already running around and playing again. Both got dissolving stitches, so I don’t have to go back with them. So now all my 4 cats are spayed. YAY!
Friday Paul and I picked up the second door. It was just too hot to do anything by the time we got there. 26c and it felt like 36c. I fed Taz and gave her fresh water. Paul and I watered the gardens and gave them a good soak. Still lots of water left in the barrels for next time. Soon I can take off the zucchini and make something with it. Maybe I dig up some potatoes too. I’m sure there are some ready.
Saturday Carol and Christyna came to the acreage to help Paul and me with some work at the cabin. Most people that would have loved to come out and help, were occupied this weekend, but with the four of us, we should be able to do a lot of work. We wanted to start with putting in the two doors. We began with the front door. Well, it wasn’t as easy as it supposed to be. The crew made a mistake by making the opening to short! We had to remove one of the pieces of the deck and cut out a part of the floor, to get the door in. While cutting the floor piece, we could really see how the rain of months, when we were waiting for the roof, had ruined the floor’s strength. After the door was in we had to put screws at the top of the door, into the frame of the cabin, to keep it up and after that we had to slide pieces of osb under the bottom part of the door. Christyna did a lot of work on this, with help of a hammer and by crawling under the deck. It took a long time and more work then actually needed if the door opening was the correct size. Once the door was in, Paul worked so hard to get the lock into place. But finally he got it done. YAY! So now I can close and lock the front door. We worked for hours to get that one door in.
After that we had lunch with coffee. I brought different salads, breads and cheeses and other snacks. It was very tasty! With a full belly we continued our work. We were not prepared for the next challenge. The back door did not fit at all. The opening where the door has to slide in, is too small. A huge mistake of the crew! How could they make this mistake? I gave them all the window and door measurements, given to me by the building store. Up to now nothing fitted correctly, but so far we could adjust with putting wood IN. Taking wood OUT is a different story and much more complicated. We have to take away one of the 2 by 6’s at the side of the opening, including a part of the exterior wall, and replace this with a smaller piece of wood. Carol ordered this piece of wood right away so we can pick this up Sunday. It will be quiet the adventure to get this door in.
Christyna, Carol’s Wwoofer, is a wonderful help. What a lovely person she is. A hard worker and she is SO strong. Ah, youth! She and Paul did most of the lifting of the heavy doors. Christyna filled all the cracks at the ceiling boards in the cabin with the expanding foam. The four of us also worked on getting the metal bug screen in front of the gaps. The four of us worked for 7 hours this day on mostly the doors and filling up all the cracks.
Sunday afternoon a friend of ours was so kind to call a handyman he knows well and asked him if he could come over to the acreage sometime this week or next weekend to help with the doors. He said he would try to come over as soon he can. YAY! I can’t wait for the handyman to come out and fix the door problems. Some things are better left to people that have the skills for the job. Especially when it comes to make a door fit properly. Carol, Christyna, Paul and I went to the acreage to finish putting the screens up. I had an extra stapler so Paul and Christyna finished all the screen work while Carol and I put a list together of things where the handyman could help out with, beside the doors. Once we were done with that, Paul and Christyna also were finished. YAY! All gaps are closed and no bees or any other critter can come in through the gaps. We worked for 2 hours today to finish this. I had brought some salads and other snacks again to close this work-weekend with.
It was a lot of fun and we all worked together so well! It was real team work all the time. A huge thank you to Carol and Christyna, and of course Paul. I’m very, very grateful to have such great friends and a lovely son. You guys are awesome. :-)