As soon I had my onion flower bed done, I had a rest in the shade. A little Eastern Phoebe flew to my new flower bed and was checking it out. So cute! Then it started to pick through the soil, catching some bugs for a bite. I also noticed that the bird bath was well in use with this little bird. I found some more bean seeds the other day and soaked them for a night and got them all in the ground. You can never have enough beans. Once dried they are easy to store for winter. I had dug out a couple of young raspberry plants in my back yard in town. They were popping up everywhere in the grass. So I took them out, as also a couple of young sprouts of a nice pink flowering bush. I planted them all in the back of the gardens. I have a few raspberry plants there so I hope in time to have a nice patch of them.
In the backyard of my house in town, a family of crows came to eat out of the bird feeder. They are pretty birds, and noisy too. They come early in the morning to dish out the feeder. At the acreage I have also crows but I don’t see them in the yard. They stay in the woods, and only fly over the yard so now and then.
The sunflower seeds I planted in little pots a while ago, are really popping up. Next time I will plant them out but for now I leave them in the pots.
While I was watering the gardens, I dropped my cell phone by accident in one of my water barrels! Ugh! That wasn’t smart. I took it out right away so it wasn’t in there for long, but long enough to be damaged and even though the phone still worked, there wasn’t any display on the screen anymore. So I couldn’t text or call. Later when I got home Paul took the battery and sim card out and we just let it dry. It was soaked on the inside! Lucky it did dry up and I got a screen again, even though the display isn’t the best. But now I can use it to make a call or text. So that is good.
We have a couple of very hot days lately. In the cabin it did stay a few degrees cooler, but I had to put up a emergency curtain to keep the sun of the west window. Just a blanket on a couple of screws. Simple but effective for now. It is very hot and dry in Saskatchewan. In fact it is so dry, that there is now a fire ban out, which means no open fires permitted. I really hope for a good rain fall. My rain barrels are empty as I had to water all my gardens again.
Some other good news! On facebook I saw an add from one of my friends where she asked for people to sell their art in a new to build little gift store in Madge Lake in the Provincial Park. I called and she was happy to have my rhythm beads in the store. The store will be open for business sometime in June. Very exciting!
At my yard sale I met a lady, Stella, who does Ukrainian Ceramic Art. She was looking for people who could put the decal patterns on items like mugs and tea bag holders, and asked if I was interested. Of course I was. Love to try out new things. I went to her place for an afternoon of learning how to do this. It was really nice to learn. While we were working on the different ways of cutting the pattern sheets and how to put them on the different items, we chat a lot. It was really nice. When I left she gave me some items and the materials I needed to work on them. At home I spend every day a couple of hours putting the patterns on. It is so nice to do, but it does take a lot of time to finish one item, and unfortunately I don’t have enough time to do this right now. But maybe in the winter time I will.
Yesterday morning I went to see the horses. They are all doing so well. Carol was in the pasture doing some fence work and I met her new Wwoofer, Simon. A nice and friendly young man. It was two weeks ago that the horses had their trim and I trimmed Willow’s front hooves with the rasp. She was so patience and stood so nice and calm, I was done very quick. She did had trouble with picking up her back feet though. She seemed a little stiff and uncomfortable to give me her back feet, so we left her for now. It won’t harm to wait for a little while to do those. After the trimming Carol, Simon and I had a drink and talked a while. Then I had to go again. Stella had a lot of things in her yard that she didn’t need anymore and I had to go and pick those up.
She had some pallets and cinder blocks and a couple of old straw bales and I can use all of that. She helped me to put everything in the back of my truck. I have to go back once more to pick up the rest, as my truck was loaded. I also helped her to move a kiln into her studio. I went home, picked up the dog, and went to the cabin. I unloaded all the stuff. I put it in the flower garden area where I will probably use most of it. It’s all heavy stuff and with 28 C it was not easy work! Hahaha!
Norman came by and we talked about the siding he will put up on the cabin for me sometime this summer. It will be so great to have the outside all done. It will be really nice. Also it will be a good extra insulation. I can’t wait! Very exciting! It will be all wood, so it will fit in real nice with the environment.
All my seedlings at home are hardened. It was quiet the job. For 7 days I had to put them all out in the morning, in the shade and after a few hours put them all back inside again. Every day I left them out a little longer and on a warm night I left them out and they did well. My red and white cabbage didn’t do too well though, with the heat, and got so stressed that I had to keep them inside again for a while. I hope to get them hardened in a few days though. Next weekend I will plant everything out in the garden. It will look so great to have green plants in the gardens.